[Openstack-operators] glance, nova backed by NFS

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Wed Oct 12 17:58:47 UTC 2016

We don’t use shared storage at all.  But I do remember what you are talking about.  The issue is that compute nodes weren’t aware they were on shared storage, and would nuke the backing mage from shared storage, after all vm’s on *that* compute node had stopped using it. Not after all vm’s had stopped using it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1620341 - Looks like some code to address that concern has landed  but only in trunk maybe mitaka.  Any stable releases don’t appear to be shared backing image safe.

You might be able to get around this by setting the compute image manager task to not run.  But the issue with that will be one missed compute node, and everyone will have a bad day.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy