[Openstack-operators] Custom VM FQDNs and DNS integration

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Mon Oct 10 18:55:55 UTC 2016

The last time I tried this, which was probably 18 months ago to be fair,
there is no way for the VM to get it's own tenant name. You could pass it
in with cloud-init if you want but its not in the metadata that I recall.

For Designate however I don't know why you'd want this. You want the format
above for the DNS record, but you don't need it for the VM name. My VMs are
called (for example): fred & bob and so Nova sees "fred" and "bob" but
Designate has:

fred.tenant-subdomain.foo.com
bob.tenant-subdomain.foo.com

In other words, I don't think the name in nova and the DNS record need to
match for this to work the way you want it to.