[Openstack-operators] [EXTERNAL] Re: Tenant/Project naming restrictions

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Oct 7 16:05:26 UTC 2016

Sounds like a bug in the API documentation:

http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/identity/v3/?expanded=create-project-detail

"name   body    string  The name of the project, which must be unique
within the owning domain. A project can have the same name as its
domain."

Unfortunately, IMO these API's are woefully under-documented. There's no
mentioned limit on length. One can assume anything valid in the JSON body
as a "string" is valid, so, any utf-8 character should work. In reality,
there are limits in the backend storage schema, and likely problems with
the wider UTF-8 characters in most peoples' clouds because MySQL doesn't
really support > 4 byte UTF-8.

I suggest opening a bug against any of the projects that fail to
document the limitations in their api-ref.

However, we can at least refer to the API tests as what is tested to
work:

https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tempest/api/identity/admin/v3/test_projects_negative.py#L60-L64

Some tests that verify that one cannot save invalid utf-8 chars would be
useful there.

Excerpts from Vigil, David Gabriel's message of 2016-10-07 15:38:13 +0000: