[Openstack-operators] [mitaka] Nova, Neutron and dns_name

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 07:50:56 UTC 2016

Sergio Morales Acuña <semoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm facing a problem related to dns_name and dnsmasq.
>
> Nova and Neutron can create a port with dns_name and dnsmasq it's
> correctly updating "/addn_host".
>
> The problem is when Nova boot an instance using a new or previusly
> created port. The port has the correct dns_name but dnsmaq (dhcp_agent)
> it's using the generic (ex. host-10-0-0-16) names.
>
> If I restart dhcp_agent or do a port-update on the port, the correct name
> is added to addn_host.
>
> Any ideas?

Probably a bug in Mitaka where Neutron controller does not notify DHCP
agent about an update. I think it should be solved in Newton with
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/355117/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/375189/ plus other related patches that
belong to push-notifications blueprint.

Note that those patches are not safe to backport back to Mitaka, so if we
get a bug reported against Mitaka for the behaviour you describe, we may
need to solve it in some other way.

Ihar