[Openstack-operators] SDN for hybridcloud, does it *really* exist?

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Mon Oct 3 15:16:03 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 02:39:38PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:

:I know it's hard to believe, but this world was foretold long ago and
:what you want requires no special equipment or changes to OpenStack,
:just will-power.  You can achieve it now if you can use operating system
:versions published in the last 5 or so years.
:
:The steps to do this:
:
:1) Fix your apps to work via IPv6
:2) Fix your internal users to have v6 native
:3) Attach your VMs and containers to a provider network with v6 subnets
:4) Use IPSec and firewalls for critical isolation. (What we use L2
:   separation for now)

That *is* hard to belive :) IPv6 has been coming soon since I started
in tech a very long time ago ...

I will consider that but I have a diverse set of users I don't
control.  I *may* be able to apply pressure in the if you really need
this then do the right thing, but I probably still want a v4 solution
in my pocket.

-Jon