[Openstack-operators] [publicClouds-wg] Public Cloud Working Group

matt Jarvis matt at mattjarvis.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 07:51:53 UTC 2016

Hi Stefano

I think there are a number of goals that the WG can focus on, both
technical and collaborative, and that will be one of the first items to
work through. At a very high level I see this as being important to
represent the interests of the growing public cloud community on an ongoing
basis. From a technical perspective, there are features and requirements
emerging from the public cloud community which perhaps aren't high on
others agenda. We can take as an example the recent discussions about lack
of dev maintenance for VPNaaS, and in that particular case I think it also
throws up an interesting question about how smaller companies who perhaps
can't contribute an entire development head might collaborate to support a
particular piece of development, so exploring different collaboration
models like that. I'd also like to focus on how we can encourage further
uptake of OpenStack public cloud, and one of the areas that I've been
thinking about is how we address some of the challenges of the emergence of
the multi-cloud model, and what that means for us from a feature set
perspective. This covers interop and the potential for federation, but also
raises questions about standards around naming of objects, network creation
patterns and a bunch of other stuff which I think this WG can start to
address.

Matt