[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][neutron] neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent and neutron-openvswitch-agent

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 01:46:30 UTC 2016

On 11/16/2016 10:48 PM, Akshay Kumar Sanghai wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed a kilo version before and now I am installing mitaka. The
> installation document for mitaka uses linuxbridge agent and not ovs. In
> kilo, it says to install neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent. In mitaka,
> for linuxbridge, it says to install neuton-linuxbridge-agent.
>
> Is there any difference between neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent and
> neutron-openvswitch-agent?
>
> Thanks
> Akshay

On Ubuntu, neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent is the name of the package
that supplies neutron-openvswitch-agent. Both the
neutron-openvswitch-agent and the neutron-linuxbridge-agent run as
driver plugins under the ML2 plugin framework. I'm not sure what the
name of the package is for neutron-linuxbridge-agent, and it will vary
by distribution.

Neutron was originally designed to be modular, with plugins to handle
the implementation of the API. The limitation was that only one plugin
could run at a time, so ML2 (Modular Layer 2) was developed for running
multiple combination of type drivers (VLAN, GRE, VXLAN, etc.) and
mechanism drivers (OVS, linuxbridge, 3rd-party mechanisms, etc.).

The old style drivers were known as monolithic drivers, as opposed to
ML2 plugin drivers. More information on ML2 plugins can be found here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/neutron/devref/l2_agents.html

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack