[Openstack-operators] Safe migrations Liberty to Newton

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 18:09:31 UTC 2016

On 11/12/2016 08:10 AM, William Josefsson wrote:
> Thanks Jay and Matt for sharing advice on the upgrade. I have found
> the following documentation for each of the projects, I believe I
> should also read the upgrade section in each projects release notes.
>
> Can you please advice if the service DB upgrade order as below makes
> sense, not sure what to do with the rabbitmq service?

You don't need to upgrade RabbitMQ if you don't want to. There's some
performance and reliability fixes (for at-scale deployments) in later
rabbitmq and erlang packages but for the size of your deployment I'm not
sure it would be particularly useful to upgrade rabbitmq.

> I was looking for something more guided step by step upgrade, and
> found these two links. Please share if you've seen any useful upgrade
> posts covering Liberty->Mitaka;   Mitaka->Newton. thx will

The process for upgrading from Liberty to Mitaka is the same as the
process for upgrading from Mitaka to Newton.

The best guide to follow is the Nova upgrade documentation, which you
link to below:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/upgrade.html#

Follow that and you should be 90% of the way there. Upgrading the
controller services like Keystone, Glance, Cinder (on the controller,
not the cinder-volume services on the compute nodes), Heat, etc should
be simple: shut down the services, upgrade the packages, run db syncs,
restart the services. Upgrading the compute nodes is the trickier part,
but the doc above gives a great rundown of what you should do.

Of course, make a backup of your database(s) before you do anything.

All the best,
-jay