[Openstack-operators] Safe migrations Liberty to Newton

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:45:39 UTC 2016

On 11/11/2016 08:38 AM, William Josefsson wrote:
> Hi everyone, I have been quite concerned about how to migrate 50
> projects and total 100 instances on Liberty/CentOS72, to Newton.
>
> My storage backend is CEPH. Can anyone advice if I can as a safe
> migration path, do a fresh install of Newton on additional hardware.
> The new Newton cluster connecting to same old DB and Storage(CEPH
> cluster). And then live-migrate to the new hardware?
>
> Please advice if this approach works. Thx will

The only safe and supported way to upgrade OpenStack is to do an N-1 to
N upgrade.

Upgrade your controller installation to Mitaka, run your migrations (DB
and online data migrations) then upgrade all of your nova-compute nodes
one by one from Liberty to Mitaka. You will not need to live-migrate any
workloads unless you simultaneously want to upgrade either the operating
system or the libvirt/QEMU versions on the nova-computes.

Rinse and repeat to get to Newton.

There's many guides online for how to do upgrades of OpenStack. Please
follow one of them to perform a best practice N-1 to N upgrade.

Best,
-jay