[Openstack-operators] Updating oschecks

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 18:03:44 UTC 2016

I've recently started working with the oscheck scripts in the
osops-tools-monitoring project [1], and I found that in their current
form they didn't quite meet my needs.  In particular:

- They don't share a common set of authentication options
- They can't read credentials from files
- Many of them require a priori configuration of the openstack
  environment, which means they can't be used to health check a new
  deployment

I've spent a little time recently prototyping a new set of health
check scripts, available here:

  https://github.com/larsks/oschecks

I'd like to emphasize that these *are not* currently meant as a usable
replacement for the existing checks; they were to prototype (a) the
way I'd like the user interface to work and (b) the way I'd like
things like credentials to work.

This project offers the following features:

- They use os_client_config for managing credentials, so they can be
  configured from a clouds.yaml file, or the environment, or the
  command line, and it all Just Works.

- Authentication is handled in just one place in the code for all the
  checks.

- The checks are extensible (using the cliff framework), which means
  that checks with different sets of requirements can be
  packaged/installed separately.  See, for example:

    https://github.com/larsks/oschecks_systemd

- For every supported service there is a simple "can I make an
  authenticated request to the API successfully" check that does not
  require any pre-existing resources to be created.

- They are (hopefully) structured such that it is relatively easy to
  write new checks the follow the same syntax and behavior of the
  other checks.

If people think this is a useful way of implementing these health
checks, I would be happy to do the work necessary to make them a mostly
drop-in replacement for the existing checks (adding checks that are
currently missing, and adding appropriate console-script entrypoints to
match the existing names, etc).

I would appreciate any feedback.  Sorry for the long message, and thanks
for taking the time to read this far!

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/osops-tools-monitoring/tree/master/monitoring-for-openstack/oschecks

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}