[Openstack-operators] Moving from distro packages to containers (or virtualenvs...)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Fri May 13 17:46:27 UTC 2016

Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:

> On 5/12/16, 2:04 PM, "Joshua Harlow"<harlowja at fastmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi there all-ye-operators,
>>
>> I am investigating how to help move godaddy from rpms to a
>> container-like solution (virtualenvs, lxc, or docker...) and a set of
>> questions that comes up is the following (and I would think that some
>> folks on this mailing list may have some useful insight into the answers):
>>
>> * Have you done the transition?
>>
>> * How did the transition go?
>>
>> * Was/is kolla used or looked into? or something custom?
>>
>> * How long did it take to do the transition from a package based
>> solution (with say puppet/chef being used to deploy these packages)?
>>
>>    * Follow-up being how big was the team to do this?
>
> I know I am not an operator, but to respond on this particular point
> related to the Kolla question above, I think the team size could be very
> small and still effective.  You would want 24 hour coverage of your data
> center, and a backup individual, which puts the IC list at 4 people. (3 8
> hour shifts + 1 backup in case of illness/etc).  Expect for these folks to
> require other work, as once Kolla is deployed there isn't a whole lot to
> do.  A 64 node cluster is deployable by one individual in 1-2 hours once
> the gear has been racked.  Realistically if you plan to deploy Kolla I'd
> expect that individual to want to train for 3-6 weeks deploying over and
> over to get a feel for the Kolla workflow.  Try it, I suspect you will
> like it :)

Thanks for the info and/or estimates, but before I dive to far in I have
a question. I see that the following has links to how the different
services run under kolla:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/#kolla-services

But one that seems missing from this list is what I would expect to be
the more complicated one, that being nova-compute (and libvirt and kvm).
Are there any secret docs on that (since I would assume it'd be the most
problematic to get right)?

> If you had less rigorous constraints around availability then I'd expect
> Godaddy to have, a Kolla deployment could likely be managed with as little
> as half a person or less.  Everything including upgrades is automated.

Along this line, do people typically plug the following into a local
jenkins system?

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/quickstart.html#building-container-images

Any docs on how people typically incorporate jenkins into the kolla
workflow (I assume they do?) anywhere?