[Openstack-operators] Moving from distro packages to containers (or virtualenvs...)

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri May 13 00:14:33 UTC 2016

On 5/12/16, 2:04 PM, "Joshua Harlow" <harlowja at fastmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there all-ye-operators,
>
>I am investigating how to help move godaddy from rpms to a
>container-like solution (virtualenvs, lxc, or docker...) and a set of
>questions that comes up is the following (and I would think that some
>folks on this mailing list may have some useful insight into the answers):
>
>* Have you done the transition?
>
>* How did the transition go?
>
>* Was/is kolla used or looked into? or something custom?
>
>* How long did it take to do the transition from a package based
>solution (with say puppet/chef being used to deploy these packages)?
>
>   * Follow-up being how big was the team to do this?

I know I am not an operator, but to respond on this particular point
related to the Kolla question above, I think the team size could be very
small and still effective.  You would want 24 hour coverage of your data
center, and a backup individual, which puts the IC list at 4 people. (3 8
hour shifts + 1 backup in case of illness/etc).  Expect for these folks to
require other work, as once Kolla is deployed there isn't a whole lot to
do.  A 64 node cluster is deployable by one individual in 1-2 hours once
the gear has been racked.  Realistically if you plan to deploy Kolla I'd
expect that individual to want to train for 3-6 weeks deploying over and
over to get a feel for the Kolla workflow.  Try it, I suspect you will
like it :)

If you had less rigorous constraints around availability then I'd expect
Godaddy to have, a Kolla deployment could likely be managed with as little
as half a person or less.  Everything including upgrades is automated.

Regards
-steve