[Openstack-operators] User Survey usage of QEMU (as opposed to KVM) ?

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu May 12 00:38:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 07:30:45PM -0400, Emilien Macchi wrote:
:On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Matt Riedemann
:<mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

:> Another thought is that deployment tools are just copying what devstack
:> does, or what shows up in the configs in our dsvm gate jobs, and those are
:> using qemu, so they assume that's what should be used since that's what we
:> gate on.
:
:In the case of Puppet OpenStack, kvm is default.
:We set the parameter to qemu only in our gate, like devstack does but
:people using puppet-nova to deploy will have KVM driver.
:
:https://github.com/openstack/puppet-nova/blob/master/manifests/compute/libvirt.pp#L110
:
:Should we send a warning if qemu is set?

Since the defautl is KVM a deployer would have to make a conscious
decision to to change that so I wouldn't expect a warning.

If you think additional warning is needed maybe an extra comment line
in libvirt.pp or somewhere?

Though I don't think I'd oppose one either.  I can imagine a scenario
in which someone builds an environment in nested virtualization where
they need non-accelerated qemu then forget to switch it back for
hardware deploy, but that's pretty edge casey.

-Jon