[Openstack-operators] User Survey usage of QEMU (as opposed to KVM) ?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed May 11 19:44:54 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 01:29 PM, Robert Starmer wrote:
> I don't disagree, what we're really getting at is that any lookup (ask the
> system what it's using on a particular instance, look at the config, look at the
> output of a nova CLI request, querry via Horizon), should all return the same
> answer.  So one is a bug (Horizon), the other requires looking up information in
> the system itself.  As I suggested, the config is one path, and I still believe
> will provide the current correct answer for the hypervisor node (Linux QEMU/KVM
> or QEMU/QEMU) regardless of other issues, and the Horizon path is a bug that
> should be fixed.

I think the problem is poor modeling.  We specify "virt_type", but export the
hypervisor.

The "virt_type" option does not have a 1:1 mapping to hypervisor.  Both kvm and
qemu will use the "qemu" hypervisor but kvm will enable hardware acceleration.

Perhaps we should change it to export "virt_type" instead via a microversion.

Chris