[Openstack-operators] [ironic] Dropping legacy bash ramdisk support

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Wed May 11 12:54:31 UTC 2016

Hi all!

As you probably know, the old bash-based ramdisks for ironic [1] and
ironic-inspector [2] are deprecated for some long time. The time has
come: we are removing their support from our code base in the near
future.

Here is the draft plan:

1. Remove the gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh-dib job from
   diskimage-builder.

2. Remove the gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh job from Ironic master
   only.

3. Remove support for the old ramdisk from ironic-inspector and its
   devstack plugin. The last versions still supporting the old ramdisk will
   be 3.3.0 (to be released soon), Mitaka and older.

4. Remove support for the old ramdisk from ironic and its devstack
   plugin. The last version still supporting the old ramdisk will be
   Mitaka.

The DIB elements themselves won't be removed per DIB policy. But they
will be completely unsupported for the next releases (starting with N2).

[1] https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/tree/master/elements/deploy-ironic
[2] https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/tree/master/elements/ironic-discoverd-ramdisk

// jim