[Openstack-operators] How are folks providing GPU instance types?

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Mon May 9 20:13:16 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Having trouble finding any current info on best practices for
providing GPU instances.  Most of what Google is feeding me is Grizzly
or older.

I'm currently on Kilo (Mitaka upgrade planned in 60-90 days) with
Ubuntu14.04 and kvm hypervisor.  Looking to add some NVidia GPUs but
haven't invested in hardware yet.  Presumably I'd be using host
aggregates and instance metadata to separate these out from the
general pool so not tied to kvm though it would be nice to have image
compatibility across GPU and nonGPU instance types (this is currently
'raw' images in ceph rbd).

Any pointers to good info online or general advice as I travel down
this path?  I suppose particularly urgent is any hardware caveats I
need ot be aware of before I sink cash into the wrong thing (I'm
presuming that the k10,k20,k40,k80 are all equivalent in this regard).

-Jon