[Openstack-operators] vmware to openstack

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Fri May 6 16:21:20 UTC 2016

There are a couple of reasons I think this may cause you problems even if it was technically feasible:

 * VMs deployed on vmware are built as pets and really need/benifit from the features of vmware. if migrating to anything but a vmware openstack cloud then those underlying expectations built into the vms no longer hold true and badness can ensue.
 * Users without experience in the cloud expect it to work the same way as regular vm's. Its very different. if you can "just move" a vm in, then it incorrectly strengthens the expectation. If users have to work a little bit to get it into the cloud, then there's opportunity for re-education on the differences and a chance to do the migration correctly, de-pet'ing the vm at migration time. If you don't do it at migration time, it tends not to happen at all, and as an operator, you then have  a sea of pets you end up having to deal with and not very many tools at your disposal to deal with them. :/

Yes, it seems like a good idea to help your users by transitioning automagically, but in the long run, it causes more pain then it saves.

Thanks,
Kevin