[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Ansible] Mitaka Upgrade

Kevin Carter kevin.carter at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue May 3 03:35:19 UTC 2016

Hi Wade, sorry for the late reply most of us have been traveling / afk for a bit for the summit. Regarding Liberty > Mitaka upgrades there are a few issues that we need to work out before we have a supported upgrade process.

Most notably we need to address:

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+bug/1577245

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+bug/1568029

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+bug/1574019

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+bug/1574303

It's likely if you hand fix these items you should be all taken care of. That said, work will be in full swing in the next week or so to get upgrades 100% squared away and there may be some other things that need be addressed before we'd say they're fully supported.

As for the RTFM part, it's not RTFM at all. We generally give our releases a bit of time to stabilize before announcing to the world how "wonderful our upgrade process is". Sadly, the issues you've found are a product of us not having worked everything out yet. We do have some documentation regarding the minor upgrade process as outlined here: [0] as well as other operational documentation that can be found here: [1]. Also if you're interested in working on the upgrades we'd love to have a chat regarding all of the things you've run into so that we can automate them away. I'd recommend joining in on the #openstack-ansible IRC channel and potentially raising issues on launchpad [2] for things we've not yet thought of to work on.

As for what you've done thus far, it seems like a sensible approach. The playbook execution should drop new code into place and start/restart all of the services. However the straggler process may have been related to this issue [ https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+bug/1577245 ] if you can look through that and the other issues mentioned earlier we'd appreciate the feedback.

Sorry for the TL;DR I hope you're well. Ping us if you have questions.

[0] - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/install-guide/app-minorupgrade.html
[1] - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/install-guide/#operations
[2] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/

--