[Openstack-operators] [nova] RFEs: communication channel and process

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 22 00:03:29 UTC 2016

On 3/21/2016 6:18 PM, Matt Fischer wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2016 3:28 PM, "Tim Bell" <Tim.Bell at cern.ch
> <mailto:Tim.Bell at cern.ch>> wrote:
>

>     On 21/03/16 17:24, "Markus Zoeller" <mzoeller at de.ibm.com
>     <mailto:mzoeller at de.ibm.com>> wrote:
>
>      >Hello dear ops,
>      >
>      >I'd like to make you aware of discussion [1] on the openstack-dev ML.
>      >I'm in the role of maintaining the bug list in Nova and was looking
>      >for a way to gain an overview again over our ~950 open bug reports.
>      >My idea was to redirect the RFEs away from the Nova bug list, to make
>      >that a list of reports which describe only faulty behaviors in
>     existing
>      >features [2] (see section "Alternative to wishlist bugs").
>      >
>      >Long story short, what are your opinions/ideas of RFE handling?
>
>     Pleased to see this discussion is underway to encourage the feedback
>     loop and lower the barrier for improvement suggestions.
>
>     To check I understand the proposal,
>
>     - We stop raising wishlist bugs
>     - We send an e-mail to the ops list with [RFE] for discussion and
>     review of alternatives
>
>     My only concerns are
>
>     1. How to get from the [RFE] agreed stage to a blueprint with
>     implementation proposal ?
>     2. In the current blueprint process, I can +1 a spec to support the
>     proposal. How can we identify the RFEs with the strongest community
>     support ?
>     3. How can the various Ops working groups
>     (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/UserCommittee) which
>     could help with this process ?
>
>     Tim
>

> I'd also like to know what the discovery process will be? How will a new
> user know to do this? A bug-bot that will close all Wishlist items? If
> you don't solve that then you won't solve the issue of open wishlist bugs.

There is a template in nova bugs and as part of that I'd expect it to
say if you're looking to request a feature or mark something as
wishlist, then it should redirect to what's laid out here, i.e. a thread
on the openstack-operators list with [RFE][nova] in the subject.

I tend to think something in the mailing list is far more discoverable
than the glut of wishlist bugs that we have now.

> Let's also avoid making the barrier to entry too high. "Go write a spec"
> is not a great response to a feature idea, although it may reduce
> spurious feature requests it may also mean that you don't get any at all.

Posting to the mailing list is, in my opinion, better at a very early
high level idea than telling someone to go write a spec. Then it gets
discussed early and if it's a bad idea, or has already been done, it's
done in the mailing list early rather than someone going through the
blueprint/spec process and being rejected there. It's also better to
start it in the ML early I think since if it is a bad idea, you can get
a community of people weighing in on that rather than a couple of
nova-specs cores saying it (or not saying it for a long time and the
spec just rots).