[Openstack-operators] Upstream linux kernel bug if CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN enabled in guest

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 7 03:45:34 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention that if anyone has been seeing odd idle/system/user
results in /proc/stats or "top" in a guest with CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN
enabled (it's automatically selected by CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL) that it's not your
imagination or anything you did wrong.

I recently discovered a bug in the kernel which triggers in the above scenario.
  It appears to have been introduced in kernel version 3.15.  The proposed patch
is available at:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2205350.html

Chris