[Openstack-operators] libvirt cpu type per instance?

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Thu Mar 3 21:20:40 UTC 2016

I would be curious if specifing the cpu type would actually restrict performance.  As far as I know, this only restricts the cpu features presented to a vm.  You can present a vm that has the cpu instruction sets of a Pentium 3 – but runs and is as performant as a single core on a 2.8ghz hexcore cpu.

Additionally one would have to change that for the entire HV.  You might have better luck also using the flavor extra_specs:

http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/compute-flavors.html

I am pretty sure thought you can't set what CPU type/flags to present to the vm through them though. (Maybe with custom code)

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy