[Openstack-operators] Setting affinity based on instance type

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu Mar 3 16:36:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 09:35:07PM -0500, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
:What would prevent the next user from having workloadB collocated with
:an other user's workloadA if that's the only capacity available?
:
:Unless aggregates are used, it will be hard to guaranty that workloadA
:and workloadB (from any users) are never collocated.
:
:You could probably play with custom weighers where a specialized
:aggregate would be preferred over the others unless there isn't capacity
:left. This would also mean that strict filters can't be used anymore
:like suggested. (and it will need custom Python code to be written)
:
:The main challenge I see is not the single first anti-affinity request,
:it's all the subsequent others which will also require anti-affinity.

My reading of the question suggesst they don't want a 'hard
never|always colocate' which hsot aggregates and server groups have
ways of enforcing, but rather a 'soft preference to avoid|achieve
colocation'.

I don't think there's an existing way to do this other than writing a
custom weighter.

I've frequntly wished for this scheduling option but not hard enough
to implement it myself...

-Jon

:
:Mathieu