[Openstack-operators] Snapshots taking long time

Saverio Proto zioproto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 07:37:40 UTC 2016

Hello Andreas,

what kind of snapshot are you doing ?

1) Snapshot of a instance running on a ephimeral volume ?
2) Snapshot of a instance booted from Volume ?
3) Snapshot of a volume ?

in case 1 the ephemeral volume is in the volume pool with the name
<instanceUUID>_disk
when you snapshot, this must be read to disk and then a image is
generated and uploaded to the glance pool.
This is slow, but the patch to make this faster and all within ceph
has been already merged in Mitaka
Look here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MAN-ops-Ceph
Under
Instance (ephemeral disk) snap CoW directly to Glance pool

You might also want to measure how fast your ceph can take snapshot,
without Openstack.

assuming that your ceph pool for volumes is called volumespool

try to make a snapshot by hand bypassing openstack using rbd CLI

rbd -p volumespool snap create volume-<UUID>@mytestsnapshotname

Does it take a long time as well ?

Saverio