[Openstack-operators] Workload Management (post-instantiation)

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Mar 2 21:48:46 UTC 2016

Hello fellow Ops-minded stackers!

I understand OpenStack uses scheduler logic to place a VM on a host to
ensure the load is balanced across hosts. My 64 million dollar question is:
Has anyone identified a way to monitor capacity across all hosts on an
ongoing basis and automatically live migrate VM's as needed to ensure hosts
resource consumption is balanced over time?

It seems the scheduler addresses capacity at the time of instantiation but
there's nothing that addresses optimal usage AFTER the VM is initially
placed.

Thoughts/experiences?

//adam

*Adam Lawson*