[Openstack-operators] Bandwidth limitations

Assaf Muller assaf at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 17:45:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Joseph Bajin <josephbajin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It looks like QOS is already available within the Mitaka release.   Maybe it
> doesn't have all the features you need, but looks to be a good start.
> http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/adv-config-qos.html

It's available from Neutron's Liberty release even. The new feature
provides a new QoS bandwidth limitation API, which when using the OVS
agent, is implemented via an OVS feature as such [1].

It sets the 'ingress_policing_rate' and 'ingress_policing_burst'
attributes on the VM's interface record in the ovsdb. Internally to
OVS that is implemented via 'tc' and by dropping packets over the
specified rate as detailed here [2].

[1] https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/stable/liberty/neutron/agent/common/ovs_lib.py#L539
[2] http://openvswitch.org/support/config-cookbooks/qos-rate-limiting/