[Openstack-operators] Data-Migration Juno -> Mitaka

Michael Stang michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de
Wed Jun 29 06:08:49 UTC 2016

Hi Blair,

thank you for your answere. The Tool Roland suggested was what we are looking
for, we want to migrate the enduser data from one cloud to another.

Your suggestion with the database transfer sounds also interessting but if i
dump my Juno DB and import it into the Mitaka TestDB, would this work? AFAIK the
DB changes also between versions of OpenStack, is it possible to import and
"old" DB and get it to work in a newer version?

Regards,
Michael

> Blair Bethwaite <blair.bethwaite at gmail.com> hat am 29. Juni 2016 um 02:43
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi Roland -
>
> GUTS looks cool! But I took Michael's question to be more about
> control plane data than end-user instances etc...?
>
> Michael - If that's the case then you probably want to start with
> dumping your present Juno DBs, importing into your Mitaka test DB and
> then attempting the migrations to get to Mitaka, if they work then you
> might be able to bring up a "clone cloud" (of course there is probably
> a whole lot of network specific config in there that won't work unless
> you are doing this in a separate/isolated name-and-address space,
> there's also all the config files...). Also, as others have noted on
> this list recently, live upgrades are only supported/tested(?) between
> successive versions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> On 29 June 2016 at 09:54, Roland Chan <roland at aptira.com> wrote:
> > Hi Michael
> >
> > We built a tool called GUTS to migrate various assets between OpenStack
> > deployment (and other things as well). You can check it out at
> > https://github.com/aptira/guts. It can migrate Instances, Volumes, Networks,
> > Tenants, Users and Security Groups from one OpenStack to another.
> >
> > It's a work in progress, but we're always happy to accept input.
> >
> > Hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you need anything.
> >
> > Roland
> >

> > On 28 June 2016 at 16:07, Michael Stang <michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello all,
> >>

> >> we setup a small test environment of Mitaka to learn about the
> >> installation and the new features. Before we try the Upgrade of out Juno
> >> production environment we want to migrate all it’s data to the Mitaka
> >> installation as a backup and also to make tests.
> >>

> >> Is there an easy way to migrate the data from the Juno environment to the
> >> mitaka environment or has this to be done manually piece by piece? I found
> >> already a tool named CloudFerry but the instructions to use it are not much
> >> and also there seems to be no support for mitaka by now, is there any other
> >> software/tool to help for migrating data?
> >>

> >> Thanks and kind regards,
> >>
> >> Michael

> Cheers,
> ~Blairo
Viele Grüße

Michael Stang
Laboringenieur, Dipl. Inf. (FH)

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
ZeMath Zentrum für mathematisch-naturwissenschaftliches Basiswissen
Fachbereich Informatik, Fakultät Technik
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

Tel.: +49 (0)621 4105 - 1367
michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de