[Openstack-operators] [Neutron][IPAM] Anyone using builtin pluggable IPAM driver?

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Jun 16 21:07:25 UTC 2016

Hi,

Cross posting to the operators and devs.

In Liberty, pluggable IPAM was added to Neutron.  With it, a built-in
pluggable driver, equivalent to the old non-pluggable IPAM was added
as a reference implementation. In a greenfield deployment, you could
choose to use this driver by setting the following:

  ipam_driver = 'internal'

A brown field deployment would've required a manual migration of
existing data to new DB tables.  No migration script was officially
provided.

After considerable testing with this driver, we're planning to
obsolete the old built-in IPAM implementation in favor of the
pluggable version.  The strategy for this migration could depend on if
anyone is using this internal driver.

So, I'd like to know if anyone is using it.  Specifically, are there
any deployments with "ipam_driver = 'internal'" set in the
neutron.conf?  In this context, I'm not interested in anyone using any
externally provided pluggable IPAM driver.  I'm only interested in the
builtin 'internal' driver.

Mostly, I'm asking this because this was documented in the advanced
config section under "IPAM configuration" [1] even though the driver
was supposed to be somewhat experimental.  So, I have to assume people
have read that and could possibly have followed it.

Carl

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/adv-config-ipam.html