[Openstack-operators] Upgrade OpenStack Juno to Mitaka

Michael Stang michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de
Wed Jun 15 08:56:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

my name is Michael, I am working at the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State
University Mannheim.

We have an installation of OpenStack with roundabout 14 nodes each 32 cores (1
controller (glance,keystone, etc.), 1 neutron, 2 objectstores, 1 blockstore, 9
compute nodes) the blockstore, the objectstore and the compute nodes uses a
storage node over iSCSI with multipath to store the data, virtual machines etc.
The glance image service uses the objectstore as storage for the images.

At the moment we are running Juno release and we want to upgrade the
installation to Mitaka without loosing any data (users, images, volumes, virtual
machines, etc.). I already try to find documentation how such an upgrade should
be performed but I didn't find any well described how to do this.

So the following questions has arised:

What is the best way to performe an upgrade from Juno to Mitaka?
Is the best way to upgrade from Juno -> Kilo -> Liberty -> Mitaka or is it
possible to migrate directly to mitaka?
Is it better to perform an inplace upgrade or is the beter solution to setup a
new environment?
What is the best way to save the existing data to import it in an new
environment?
Is there any well described how to or best practise guide for such an upgrade?

Any ideas or help would be welcome :-)

Kind regards,
Michael

Michael Stang
Laboringenieur, Dipl. Inf. (FH)

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
ZeMath Zentrum für mathematisch-naturwissenschaftliches Basiswissen
Fachbereich Informatik, Fakultät Technik
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

zemath at dhbw-mannheim.de
http://www.dhbw-mannheim.de