[Openstack-operators] Scaling Ceilometer compute agent?

Bill Jones bill.jones at sungardas.com
Tue Jun 14 15:03:10 UTC 2016

Has anyone had any experience with scaling ceilometer compute agents?

We're starting to see messages like this in logs for some of our compute
agents:

WARNING ceilometer.openstack.common.loopingcall [-] task <function
interval_task at 0x2092cf8> run outlasted interval by 293.25 sec

This is an indication that the compute agent failed to execute its pipeline
processing within the allotted interval (in our case 10 min). The result of
this is that less instance samples are generated per hour than expected,
and this causes billing issues for us due to the way we calculate usage.

It looks like we have three options for addressing this: make the pipeline
run faster, increase the interval time, or scale the compute agents. I'm
investigating the latter.

I think I read in the ceilometer architecture docs that the agents are
designed to scale, but I don't see anything in the docs on how to
facilitate that. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill