[Openstack-operators] [scientific-wg] Maximise resource utilisation (was Scientific Working Group IRC meeting, Weds @0700 UTC in #openstack-meeting)

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Thu Jun 9 05:28:16 UTC 2016

Sorry I was not able to make it. To clarify on Blazar for CERN (http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/scientific_wg/2016/scientific_wg.2016-06-08-06.59.log.html), we’re interested in the overall problem of how to maximize the utilization of the resources in the private cloud rather than a specific project at the moment.

There seem to be a variety of approaches from pre-emptible VMs (https://github.com/indigo-dc/opie) to a cloud aware scheduler with a queue (i.e. do not return No Host Found but wait and retry) such as Symphony or some of the ongoing work with HTCondor.

Overall, we are trying to find a way to ensure the cloud is

- Always busy by using any additional resources available for low SLA activities
- Elastic by using the low SLA resources as a buffer

Blazar may be a base to build this functionality on but my current understanding is that the reservations are somewhat static (i.e. reserve me X instances at time Y).

I’d be very interested to hear how others see this problem.

Tim