[Openstack-operators] [oslo] RabbitMQ queue TTL issues moving to Liberty

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Thu Jul 28 15:10:06 UTC 2016

We also believe the change from auto-delete queues to 10min expiration queues was the cause of our rabbit whoes a month or so ago.  Where we had rabbitmq servers filling their stats DB and consuming 20+ GB of ram before hitting the rabbitmq mem high watermark.  We were running for 6+ months without issue under kilo and when we moved to Liberty rabbit consistently started falling on its face.  We eventually turned down the stats collection interval, but I would imagine keeping stats around for queue’s for 10 minutes that were used for a single RPC message when we are passing 1500+ messages per second wasn’t helping anything.  We haven’t tried changing the timeout values to be lower, to see if that made things better.  But we did identify this change as something that could contribute to our rabbitmq issues.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy