[Openstack-operators] nova resize on shared storage

Matteo Panella matteo.panella at cnaf.infn.it
Thu Jul 28 08:53:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 28/07/2016 10:34, Marcus Furlong wrote:
> I've been trying to find some information about using nova resize on
> shared storage, without giving each compute node ssh access to every
> other compute node. As the VM is on shared storage, the compute node
> shouldn't need ssh access to another compute node?

AFAIR, nova-compute uses ssh to check whether the source and target
compute node are in fact sharing the underlying storage for resize (and
migrate) operations so it can choose the best resize strategy (scp
versus local copy).

> Is this something that anyone has succeeded in doing?

Yep, we have GPFS as our underlying shared filesystem and we had to
setup cross-node ssh access for nova in order to get resize/migration
working (live migration is another story: if you're using ssh-tunneled
connections you're already set).

> I've found the following documentation:
>
>    http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/resize.html
>    http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli_change_the_size_of_your_server.html
>
> but it does not say what to do in the case of shared storage.

You should do the same thing for non-shared storage: set up ssh access
for nova across all compute nodes. nova-compute will recognize that the
underlying storage is shared and bypass ssh for all image-related
operations.

All the best,
--
Matteo Panella