[Openstack-operators] Migration Openstack Instances and cloud-init

Michael Stang michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de
Mon Jul 4 07:31:26 UTC 2016

Hi Hamza,

thank you for your answere. So I have to comment out the modules i don't want to
run when I understand this right?

Why are the changes made to the instance when I start a snapshot of the instance
and not every time when I start the instance itself? What event triggers the
cloud-init to make this changes?

What would happen when I remove the cloud-init package, will the instance still
be working and what disadventages would I have then?

Thank you and kind regards,
Michael

> Achi Hamza <h16mara at gmail.com> hat am 2. Juli 2016 um 14:30 geschrieben:
>
>  Hi Michael,
>
>  You can change this behavior in the /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg config file.
>
>  Regards,
>  Hamza
>
>  On 1 July 2016 at 07:02, Michael Stang <michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de
> mailto:michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de > wrote:
>    > >    Hi all,
> >
> >    I tried to copy instances (based on the ubuntu cloud image) from our
> > production cloud to our test cloud according to this description
> >

> >   http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli_use_snapshots_to_migrate_instances.html
> >
> >    but when I start the instance on the test cloud the root password ist
> > resetet and it seems that the cloud-init is invoked and change the instance
> > like it is the first start. Is there a way to prevent this behaviour so the
> > instance stays unchanged when I start it on the test cloud?
> >
> >    Thanks and kind regards,
> >    Michael

> >  >

Viele Grüße

Michael Stang
Laboringenieur, Dipl. Inf. (FH)

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
ZeMath Zentrum für mathematisch-naturwissenschaftliches Basiswissen
Fachbereich Informatik, Fakultät Technik
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

Tel.: +49 (0)621 4105 - 1367
michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de