[Openstack-operators] Bandwidth limitations

Sławek Kapłoński slawek at kaplonski.pl
Sun Jul 3 07:26:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

We are also using it even in Juno. There is one problem with outgoing
traffic limitation made this way if You are using openvswitch also.
This limit is set by libvirt using tc as policing on ingress qdisc.
Openvswitch is using same policing on ingress qdisc if You set
'ingress_policing_rate' for interface. Problem is that if You spawn new
vm, libvirt configures bandwidth limit with tc but then neutron ovs
agent wants to configure port and is setting vlan_tag in this "tap"
interface. After that operation ovs will clear policing on ingress qdisc
because in ovsdb there is no any info about ingress_policing_rate which
should be set. Details can be found on
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2013-July/010584.html

We solved it by setting libvirt qemu hook
(https://www.libvirt.org/hooks.html) which sets ingress_policing_rate
and ingress_policing_burst in ovs with same values which are in
instance description in libvirt.

About neutron QoS, for now it is possible only to set max bandwidth
limits for traffic outgoing from vm. There is no possiblity to set limit
for incoming traffic.

--
Best regards / Pozdrawiam
Sławek Kapłoński