[Openstack-operators] OpenStack components and configuration options

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Wed Jan 13 14:21:05 UTC 2016

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/centralize-config-options

> > Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)
>
> Yes, glad to see ther is some work about that.
>
> If I understand, Tha conf sample is generated with headers comments like

> :
> # From Nova.api
> # From Nova.compute
>
> So what does theses headers mean ? Which component will use the config
> options below ?
> # From Nova
> # From Nova.conf
> # From Nova.network
> # From nova.openstack.common.memorycache
> # From nova.virt
>
> These seems to be related to libraries used, not a particular
> component/service/process like nova-compute.
>
> Comments like this is more clear :
> # Services which consume this:
> #
> # * nova-scheduler
> # * nova-compute

Yes, right, the headers where initally used to signalize which service
uses which config options (AFAIK) but this wasn't consistent. I want to
go to something like this:

    # From nova.conf
    # From oslo.log
    # From oslo.messaging
    # From oslo.policy
    # From oslo.service
    # From oslo.service
    # From oslo.db
    # From oslo.middleware
    # From oslo.concurrency
    # From keystonemiddleware.auth_token

Some of the options in the "/etc/nova/nova.conf" get passed through to
libs we utilize (for example "oslo.log"). These headers will give you
a clue which lib it is. Could be useful to know that in upgrade scenarios.

> An I see that it's what is shown as a "Positive Example" in the spec
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/mitaka/approved/
> centralize-config-options.html#quality-view.

Yepp, that's what we are heading to. We introduced a lot of options in
last cycles and it takes a bit time to make that easier to digest.

> Another positive point I can see, if we could separate config options in

> specific config files for each service :
> - Packaging will be easier, especially install/remove/upgrades of one
> service not interfering with others
> - Config management will also be easier, don't need to manage the
> content of a file shared between several services
>
> --
> gillesMo

That's not part of the current effort but when we are done it will
be a lot easier to achieve that.

Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)