[Openstack-operators] How do you orchestrate external tools (private cloud) ?

Christian Berendt christian at berendt.io
Tue Jan 12 10:01:33 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 10:47 AM, gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org wrote:
> But I did not find any example where Heat can do these sort of thing.

I think Heat is the wrong tool to directly orchestrate external services.

Have you tried Mistral? It is a workflow service or task orchestration
service. Some examples are available in the mistral-extra repository.
E.g.
https://github.com/openstack/mistral-extra/tree/master/examples/v2/services_registration
demonstrates how to create a new instance and how to register this
instance at an external monitoring service (zabbix) and at an external
firewall service (vyatta). Mistral is very powerful and you can do a lot
of cool things with it.

Mistral resources are available for Heat
(http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Mistral::Workflow),
this way it is possible to orchestrate external services with Heat by
using Mistral resources.

HTH, Christian.

--
Christian Berendt