[Openstack-operators] OpenStack components and configuration options

gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Tue Jan 12 09:29:08 UTC 2016

Hello,

I wonder if there is somewhere some precise information on which
component a configuration option is for.
I'll explain that.

I want to separate components on several servers, a controller node, a
network node, and compute nodes. Classic.
I have nova-api one one node, nova-compute on another.
Idem for cinder-api and cinder-volume (I use glusterFS on compute
nodes).
Idem for neutron-server and neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent.

What I would like is to have the minimum configuration files for each
component, on each server.
I know it would not hurt to have more configuration than used, but it
would help to really understand what is done by each component.

At the moment, I can't find where I have to put quota configuration
(until_refresh and max_age).
Is it used by nova-api, nova-scheduler... cinder-api ?
Or is it used by nova-compute, cinder-volume ?

I would find very clear if each component had it own config file.
It would also avoid to put some passwords (database acces, keystone...)
on nodes where it's not used.

On Ubuntu, there's already a some "separation" with two files :
/etc/nova/nova.conf and /etc/nova/nova-compute.conf.
(In fact, nova-compute load both files, which can be least clear).

So, is there a documentation where I could see :
- nova-api, reads theses configuration options
- nova-compute...