[Openstack-operators] [nova][neutron] What are your cells networking use cases?

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Feb 25 22:20:09 UTC 2016

(resending with reply-all)

The routed networks work will include a change to the DHCP scheduler
which will work something like this:

1. Neutron subnets will have optional affinity to a segment
2. DHCP agents will (somewhat indirectly) report which segments to
which they are attached*.
3. Where today, DHCP schedules networks to DHCP agents, tomorrow DHCP
will schedule each segment to an agent that can reach it.  This will
be predicated on 'enable_dhcp' being set on the subnets.

There is an implicit assumption here that the operator will deploy a
DHCP agent in each of the segments.  This will be documented in the
guide.

Down the road, I really think we should continue to explore other
possibilities like DHCP relay or a DHCP responder on the compute host.
But, that should be considered an independent effort.

Carl

* they already do this by reporting physical_network in bridge mappings