[Openstack-operators] RAID / stripe block storage volumes

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Mon Feb 8 19:33:41 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,

Can you elaborate on "multiple underlying storage services"?

The reason I asked the initial question is because historically we've made
our block storage service resilient to failure. Historically we also made
our compute environment resilient to failure, too, but over time, we've
seen users become more educated to cope with compute failure. As a result,
we've been able to become more lenient with regard to building resilient
compute environments.

We've been discussing how possible it would be to translate that same idea
to block storage. Rather than have a large HA storage cluster (whether
Ceph, Gluster, NetApp, etc), is it possible to offer simple single LVM
volume servers and push the failure handling on to the user?

Of course, this doesn't work for all types of use cases and environments.
We still have projects which require the cloud to own most responsibility
for failure than the users.

But for environments were we offer general purpose / best effort compute
and storage, what methods are available to help the user be resilient to
block storage failures?

Joe