[Openstack-operators] Anyone using Project Calico for tenant networking?

Ned Rhudy (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX) erhudy at bloomberg.net
Fri Feb 5 19:03:53 UTC 2016

I meant in a general sense of the networking technology that you're using for instance networking, not in the sense of per-tenant networks, though my wording was ambiguous. Part of our larger question centers around the viability of tying instances directly to a provider network. Being that we only operate a private cloud for internal consumption, doing so would have some attractive upsides; tenants clamor for the IP inside their instance to be the same as the floating IP that the outside world sees, but nobody's ever asked us about the ability to roll their own network topology, so we think we could probably do without that.

From: Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] Anyone using Project Calico for tenant networking?

On 05/02/16 18:19, Ned Rhudy (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX) wrote:
> Hello operators,
>
> We're continuing to investigate different cloud networking technologies
> as part of our project to migrate from nova-network to Neutron, and one
> that's come up frequently is Project Calico
> (http://www.projectcalico.org/). However, we can't actually find
> anything in the way of operator testimonials from people using Calico.
> On paper it looks interesting, but it would be good to hear from
> operators who are actually using it with live users.
>
> If you do use Calico, how do you feel about it? Does it deliver on its
> scalability promises, or has it brought only heartbreak?

Hi Ned,

I'm a Calico team member, not an operator, but I wanted to check if you
really meant tenant networking as in per-tenant networks.  Because
Calico as implemented so far with OpenStack is really more a provider
network technology.  For example, we don't support overlapping IPs.

Thanks,
     Neil

PS. Thanks for asking that question!  I'm also very interested in the
answers, of course. :-)