[Openstack-operators] Change 'swap' in a flavor template

Mikhail Medvedev mihailmed at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:40:38 UTC 2016

Hi Will,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:24 AM, William Josefsson
<william.josefson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have flavors created, and wanted to change 'swap', however it seems
> to be difficult. I've checked both 'nova flavor-key set', and
> 'openstack flavor set'. One can provide --properties swap=N, however
> that is adding a value to the properties field and does not amend the
> actual 'swap' attribute.
>
> Updating directly in DB is something I wanted to avoid as I'm not sure
> what the consequences may be changing a flavor attribute that is
> already in use directly through the DB.

I could not figure out how to set swap on existing flavor fast enough,
so I initially edited nova db directly. There were no side effects in
doing so in Icehouse. I see no reason it would not work in Liberty.

> Can anyone please advice on how to go about changing the 'swap'
> setting for an existing flavor? Last resort is to add additional
> flavors with swap values, but that would be very ugly. :(

For a "nicer" way I ended up recreating flavor I needed to edit:
delete old one, create new one with the same id and swap enabled. I
hope there is a better way, but editing db directly, or recreating
flavor was sufficient for me so far.

> I'm using liberty/centos7.
>
> thx, will

Mikhail Medvedev