[Openstack-operators] NYC Ops Meetup - Ubuntu packaging session summary

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Tue Aug 30 12:50:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Saverio Proto <zioproto at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Most of the topics that were covered in the Ubuntu packaging session are
> > summarized in our wiki, to which I've updated based on our discussions:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OpenStack
>
> Hello Corey,

Hello Saverio,

> thanks for updating the wiki so quickly.

Np, thanks for the input.

> I am trying to rebuild stable/liberty cinder adding
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/306610/
>
> I am building for ubuntu trusty at the moment.
>
> First of all this line makes no sense to people not familiar with
> launchpad:
>
> git clone lp:~ubuntu-server-dev/ubuntu/+source/nova
>
> I would write:
>
> git clone https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server-dev/ubuntu/+source/nova

I added this.  Note there's a section at the top of that page called 'Git
Configuration' linking to lp configuration.

> I had to look up my shell history from NYC to understand what to
> replace in 'lp' :)
> Or we could link this page https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git
> where it explains how to hack the gitconfig.
>
> Also, there is a part: "if you have added an appropriate changelog
> comment then: debcommit"
> We can improve saying that we can edit the changelog with the command 'dch
> -i'

Good point, I've made that update.

> I tried to submit a merge request for the cinder package.
> https://code.launchpad.net/~zioproto/ubuntu/+source/
> cinder/+git/cinder/+merge/304341
>
> I already spotted an error in my patch in the debian changelog, a
> malformed email was added probably by debcommit.
>
> What is the review workflow ? I should commit amend or just adding
> commits on top of this branch ?

First, thanks for contributing!

You can just fix that in a follow on commit.  For the most part though I
want to see a clean git history.  When I merge I use --ff-only, so your git
history will get merged into the main branch in tact.

thanks !

--
Regards,
Corey