[Openstack-operators] Liberty RabbitMQ and ZeroMQ

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Aug 14 19:24:14 UTC 2016

Excerpts from William Josefsson's message of 2016-08-14 15:39:06 +0800:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I see advice in replacing RabbitMQ with ZeroMQ. I've been running 2
> clusters Liberty/CentOS7 with RabbitMQ now for while. The larger
> cluster consists of 3x Controllers and 4x Compute nodes. RabbitMQ is
> running is HA mode as per:
> http://docs.openstack.org/ha-guide/shared-messaging.html#configure-rabbitmq-for-ha-queues.

For 7 real computers, RabbitMQ is actually a better choice. You get
centralized management and the most battle-tested driver of all.

ZeroMQ is meant to remove the bottleneck and SPOF of a RabbitMQ cluster
from much larger systems by making the data path for messaging directly
peer-to-peer, but it still needs a central matchmaker database. So at
that scale, you're not really winning much by using it.

I can't really speak to the answers for your problems that you've seen,
but in general I'd expect Liberty and Mitaka on RabbitMQ to handle your
cluster size without breaking a sweat. Have you reported the errors as
bugs in oslo.messaging? That might be where to start:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+filebug