[Openstack-operators] VirtIO and IDE disk

Edmund Rhudy (BLOOMBERG/ 120 PARK) erhudy at bloomberg.net
Wed Aug 10 13:38:36 UTC 2016

Hi Emilio,

I had to solve getting Windows 2012 running in KVM recently and was able to do so with this nova boot command:

From: emilio.moreno at adam.es
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] VirtIO and IDE disk

Hi Peter,

Drivers are correct for Windows 2012 R2, if I install one server with 2012 ISO disk and VirtIO ISO to volume. All it’s ok!
But...if I receive one vmdk image, I convert it to raw and launch it with ide bus on hda...but i want lauch it with virtio bus.

Boot the instance...install virtio driver for Windows 2012 R2 of last ISO from fedora like “legacy hardware” and shutoff...at the next boot...BSOD of Windows  2012.

This process it’s ok with Windows 2008 R2, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

One solution is launch volume in my PC with KVM local install, I can launch instance with two volumes, first IDE hda volume with system and second volume  like vdc VirtIO. When I boot system, I can install drivers for second VirtIO volume and then I can launch system volume like VirtIO VDA without problems. I think that Windows install driver correctly with virtio volume attached.

Finally, I want to launch one instance in Openstack JUNO, with two volumes, one IDE HDA and second VirtIO like vdc for example. I can’t launch instance like  this, this is my last option because manually install of drivers on Windows 2012 installed and migrated fail.

Thanks

Emilio Moreno Fernández
Departamento de Sistemas

c/ Artesans, 7 - Parc Tecnològic del Vallès
08290 Cerdanyola del Vallès - Barcelona

Tel.   902 902 685
E-mail. emilio.moreno at adam.es
www.adam.es