[Openstack-operators] OpenStack Summit session showing Kubernetes on OpenStack in a fully routed network...

Chris Marino chris at romana.io
Mon Apr 25 11:56:25 UTC 2016

Wanted to let you all know that Robert Starmer and I will be presenting a
session at the OpenStack Summit this week on the new pluggable IPAM
features that were added in the Liberty release.

https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/summit-schedule/events/7078

We'll be going over the pluggable architecture and why IPAM is important,
etc and will have a demo of the IPAM driver we wrote for the Romana
<http://romana.io/> project.

What's not mentioned in the session description is that we're going to show
OpenStack running on a bunch of physical servers with VM instances that are
running a Kubernetes cluster. We'll show pods, replication controllers,
etc. This part is all pretty familiar to people that have seen Kubernetes
demos....

However, what I think is new and interesting is that the OpenStack VMs are
running on a fully routed physical network and the Kubernetes pods are ALSO
running on their own routed physical network. No overlay for OpenStack. No
overlay for k8s. Really simple and really fast. All the routing is done in
the standard kernel so there are no kernel modules or anything else in the
datapath. Network isolation and policy is applied on the hypervisor via
iptables.

I know there is a lot of work going on to handle nested containers by
coordinating overlays, etc. but thought you might be interested in seeing
how these problems can be address in a simple and easily understandable way
with intelligent IPAM and route control.

If you're at the summit, hope you can make it.

Thanks
CM
ᐧ