[Openstack-operators] Freeing the Ops Meetups

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Sat Apr 23 17:57:17 UTC 2016

Hello all,

In September last year, something amazing happened.

A guy, running a cloud in the UK, posted on the ops ML asking if people
nearby were interested in an ops meetup. The response was overwhelming,
and resulted one of the best events we've had to date.

The ops meetups have always been special events - organised by ops, for
ops. I think it's time to take the next step in that journey.

To date, Foundation colleagues and myself have been the ones to do a lot
of the driving. I think the event has reached a sufficient level of
maturity where that no longer needs to be the way this happens.

We'll still be there with cash and resources to assist, but I think it
is only fitting to hand over ultimate responsibility for the
organisation of event to the community, with the creation of a new open
team under the user committee - Ops Meetup Admins.

The Ops Meetup Admins will be an open team that meets and works towards:
* Keeping the spirit of the ops meetup alive, and ensure it achieves its
aims
* Based on community proposals, planning the number and location of events
* Running the session schedule creation process, from the planning
etherpad to the final room layout
* Finding and coordinating moderators for the sessions
* Wrangling "underwriters"

This would be an open team that allows those who are passionate about
these events, and those dozens who want to host, to join in and make the
next successful events. Foundation staff will still be around to assist
and provide funding, but moving this into a team governed by the User
Committee will allow the community to have much more control in shaping
the future as we try to answer difficult questions like regional
rotations and scaling the event.

If this is something you're interested in, join the User Committee and
myself at the Ops summit: "Ops: Future of Op Meetups Organisation"

https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/summit-schedule/events/9513
Monday, April 25, 2:00pm-2:40pm
Hilton Austin - MR 406

Regards,