[Openstack-operators] [puppet] Multi-node installation

Robert Starmer robert at kumul.us
Tue Apr 12 21:09:16 UTC 2016

For small environments that just really want the basics of OpenStack
installed, and where Puppet is a functional solution, I can recommend
looking at the Packstack deployment.  It's model based, and certainly has
it's own limitations, but it is functional, and you can start with an
all-in-one solution and then expand from there.

I've built a few installations with it, and though it's not the recommended
installation solution from RedHat at this point, it still works.  And
adding compute nodes is possible even after an initial installation, so you
have some expansion.  I've never tried upgrading a Packstack environment,
or building a multi-way controller with it (not default use cases anyway),
but it's perhaps the simplest way to get a Redhat environment going.
Packstack can be installed all-in-one, which makes the controller the
machine for everything including compute, or you have some flexibility in
defining roles for services.

Alternatively, there's the RDO Manager approach, which I've also used, just
not as often, and it adds some complexity (being triple-O based, it has an
undercloud/overcloud model). There appears to be more of a future in RDO
Manager (or OSP Director if you use the RedHat OSP bits), but there is more
complexity, which may be overkill for your solution.

Hope that helps,
Robert