[Openstack-operators] Example "OpenStack Applications"?

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Mon Apr 4 23:14:42 UTC 2016

In an effort to continue guiding the Community App Catalog in the
right direction, I'd love to get feedback from the members of these
lists regarding what an "OpenStack Application" looks like to YOU.
Getting some consensus around this will be a huge benefit to the App
Dev working group, the App Catalog, as well as the entire OpenStack
ecosystem in my opinion.

When we started the App Catalog the intention was to be as open as
possible with respect to "what" went into the catalog.  At that time
the three most obvious types of assets to include were Murano
packages, Heat templates and Glance images.  Since then we've been
working on including TOSCA templates and Mistral workflows as well.

For the sake of providing applications that run on OpenStack clouds,
is this the right focus and mix?  Or would we benefit more by thinking
about standard packaging approaches, and focusing the App Catalog more
tightly around that vs. the current view which is "all the things that
can run on an OpenStack cloud"  Are there other types of packaged
applications we might be missing out on?  Are there other catalogs we
should be drawing inspiration from?  I haven't seen any obvious
parallels with other clouds or application catalogs, but if you know
of any please share and enlighten me :)

-Christopher