[Openstack-operators] [puppet] feedback request about puppet-keystone

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Sun Sep 27 22:36:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> So after 5 days, here is a bit of feedback (13 people did the poll [1]):
>
> 1/ Providers
> Except for 1, most of people are managing a few number of Keystone
> users/tenants.
> I would like to know if it's because the current implementation (using
> openstackclient) is too slow or just because they don't need to do that
> (they use bash, sdk, ansible, etc).

I'm generally thinking the opposite of you, I'd actually love to know the
use case for anyone managing more than a few users with Puppet. We have
service users and a few accounts for things like backups, monitoring etc.
Beyond that, the accounts are for actual users and they have to follow an
intake and project creation process that also handles things like networks.
We found this workflow much easier to script with python and it can also be
done without a deploy. This is all handled by a manager after ensuring that
OpenStack is the right solution for them, finding project requirements,
etc. So I think this is what many folks are doing, their user creation
workflow just doesn't mesh with puppet and their puppet deployment process.
 (This also discounts password management, something I don't want to be
doing for users with puppet)

> 2/ Features you want
>
> * "Configuration of federation via shibboleth":
> WIP on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216821/
>
> * "Configuration of federation via mod_mellon":
> Will come after shibboleth I guess.
>
> * "Allow to configure websso"":
> See
>
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/puppet-openstack-specs/specs/liberty/enabling-federation.html
>
> * "Management of fernet keys":
> nothing *yet* in our roadmap AFIK, adding it in our backlog [2]

I looked into this when we deployed but could not come up with a great
solution that didn't involve declaring a master node on which keys were
generated. Would be happy to re-investigate or work with someone on this.