[Openstack-operators] [Large Deployments Team][Tags] Ops Tag for "Scale"

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Sun Sep 27 18:15:58 UTC 2015

We (LDT) actually don't have a formal definition of what defines a "large" deployment.  We have historical said that the definition of large is up to the operator to decide.  We have members people who operate the worlds largest public cloud, we have members who operate many many many private clouds of varying size, we have members who currently only operate a small openstack cloud but are trying to grow that in what would be considered by most a "large deployment".  We have others that have a "large deployment" but compared to their other infrastructure consider their deployment fairly small.

I think it would be best to consult the User survey to figure out what constitutes a small/medium/large/huge deployment. We (ops/LDT) can then provide feedback as to if something performs at that scale.  I think part of the feedback needs to be on how a project is used as well.  For Example, we (Godaddy) use neutron for networking, however we do not use tunneling of any type and we do not create virtual routers or private networks and we do not rely on dhcp (we use config-drive to set instance ip configuration).  So areas that other deployments have ran into in the past on scaling neutron (router scheduling performance, router HA, dhcp server performance) we simply avoided (by luck) due to the way that we implemented neutron in our environment.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy